Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The True Star of the Super Bowl

This story is coming a little late, but better late than never, I say! This year's Super Bowl was exciting for me, but not because of the teams playing, the commercials, or even the half time show. Nope. This year was the year of the food.

I planned out an entire buffalo chicken theme for our big Sunday. I made Buffalo Chicken DipBuffalo Chicken Taquitos, and the Buffalo Chicken Macaroni and Cheese stole the show. Alas, I have yet to find a buffalo chicken dessert, so instead, I made Baked S'Mores. The one mistake I made: I didn't invite anyone over (until the last minute) to eat it all with us.

In the weeks (yes, weeks...this was important) leading up to the Super Bowl, as I was planning my meal, I became very nervous about the dessert, because my hand mixer had broken just before Christmas while making the best carrot cake I've ever made. May it rest in peace knowing it did not die in vain. The Baked S'more recipe didn't say a mixer was necessary, but it did recommend it. Thankfully, and right on time, my parents informed me that they had a standing mixer for me. It had been one of the things found while cleaning out my grandmother's items after her passing last January, and it had yet to find a home. No one really had a need for it. Well, we did, and my parents promptly brought it up with them on a visit a week before the Super Bowl. 

I have always wanted a standing mixer. I have been jealous of everyone I've known who's had a Kitchenaid. They look like regal kitchen appliances, standing up on the counters, free from cupboards, looking down on all the other lowly appliances, "Look at me. I'm shiny, and more expensive, and I come with my own fancy mixing bowls." I don't know. Maybe it's just me. Anyway, I was so excited to have one in my kitchen. It is not a Kichenaid, but I don't care. It is a Sunbeam Mixmaster, and I have no idea how old or new it is, but it's in mint condition. The manual is copyrighted 1975, but this doesn't look any older than late 90s I'm guessing. Either way, I'm so excited to have it! Having been in storage for a year, it had a few smudges, a little dust, and some tiny food particles, but it was in very good shape, and the smudges reminded me that my grandmother had used it not all that long ago.

Since it had been in storage, I decided to clean it off before using it. I washed the bowls and the mixers, and then I, someone who is not at all that concerned with the outward appearance of her appliances, scrubbed the mixmaster from top to bottom. I smiled to myself while I scrubbed it until I found my reflection, reminding me of my grandmother. She was known for her cleanliness. I couldn't tell you much about her. I never got to know her very well, unfortunately, but I knew every corner of that house, and I had watched her scrub, dust, and vacuum every inch of it. She was the epitome of the June Cleaver, 1950s housewife. She could make a five course meal and the kitchen would be sparkling before the food hit the table. In that moment, as I scrubbed, I couldn't help but think she would have been proud of the way I polished up her Sunbeam.

After I had finished the Sunbeam's opening ceremonies, I began pouring in the ingredients. What needed mixing was some crushed graham crackers with flour and eggs. My ordinary hand mixer broke down while creaming frosting. Crumbled up graham cracker would have caused it to start smoking and explode. But the Sunbeam handled it gracefully. I couldn't believe how easily the graham cracker mixed with the flour and eggs, making an easy to smooth out dough. It was amazing, the Baked S'Mores were amazing, and the Sunbeam was super easy to clean back up.

We ate and were merry.


And I smiled, knowing that the MixMaster's first use was a huge success, and that Grandma would have been pleased.


 And the Sunbeam took it's rightful place, regally, on our counter top.


~In loving memory of Elizabeth Rae Lawrenson~

6 comments:

  1. Erin, I too recently recieved a standmixer that was my grandmothers. This post hits very close to home for me! Thanks so much for sharing:) -Jillian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your grandmother would like that. I think :) She seemed like a hard person to know. And, BTW.. OLD appliances are the BEST appliances. They don't make 'em like they used to. Seriously!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She very much kept to herself, which I always admired about her. Her ways of showing love were a good clean home and wonderful home cooked foods, and we all knew we were loved. :)
      You are right about that! They used to make everything very sturdy!

      Delete
  3. I remember the day I practically begged your Mom and Dad to take that MixMaster home with them. One look at that fabulous looking dessert tells me it landed in the right kitchen. Grandma would be so pleased. Love, Aunt Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aunt Jane! We will definitely be putting it to good use. Jelani has even used it for his famous banana pudding. :) We make desserts far more often than is good for us!

      Delete