Thursday, December 27, 2012

I Love You, But No

In the spirit of flu season, I've chosen this yucky topic for you all to enjoy.

You should all know something about me. I am not a germaphobe. My children and I often eat foods we've dropped on the floor (and I do not keep an immaculate floor), we play outside and get dirty, we share silverware, and all that typical mommy stuff. But there is one thing that will turn me into the most paranoid germaphobe you've ever met.

I am freakishly terrified of the stomach bug. So much so, that when any of my friends post about having it on facebook, no matter where they are, or what my chances are of ever seeing them, I'm instantly nauseous and lose my appetite. I become incredibly paranoid about catching it, and vow to keep the children away from civilization at all costs. True story.  The bug has been going around at our church and I am contemplating keeping everyone home this Sunday. I am known for saying insensitive things to people who confess to having had it or to someone in their family having it, such as, "Stay away from me!"

So, this morning, when my children decided to "play sick," mostly so they could cuddle up on the couch with their new cuddleuppets, (you know the ones with the jingle that never leaves your head; the blankets that are puppets) it took every ounce of strength I had not to get buckets out to put at their feet and lysol everything they've touched.

Of course they are not really sick. They were pretending, but I must have asked them if they felt like they were going to throw up, about a dozen times in less than five minutes.

See, there's never a good time to get sick. Getting sick sucks, but every time I've ever gotten sick in my lifetime, I've never been able to eat the last things I had before becoming ill. New York style cheesecake and chiavetta's chicken top off that list. I know! Sad, right? So now it is Christmas time, and pure paranoia has kept me from indulging in chocolate treats. Still, it makes me sad to think of all the foods I could never eat again if I got sick right now.

So, right now, while this bug seems to be going around more than usual, I'll pray for you. I know Jesus spent time with the sick and even laid hands on them. He's pretty amazing like that. But me? I sure do love ya, but no. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment